We have added some updates to our datacomms ECS card qualification, the BTEC Level 3 Diploma in Professional Competence for IT and Telecoms Professionals
This online course has been designed for network cable installer engineers who need an accredited Level 3 qualification to be able to apply for the ECS Advanced Datacomms Specialist Gold Card.
Datacomms ECS Card Qualifications
All datacomms engineers who need an ECS Gold Card will need to have one of the accredited Level 3 qualifications listed on the ECS website:
The options currently available are:
- The S/NVQ Level 3 in Electrotechnical Services Installing and inspecting Structured Cabling Systems
- The BTEC Level 3 NVQ for IT and Telecomms Professionals
- The BTEC Level 3 Diploma in Professional Competence for IT and Telecoms Professionals
- The C&G 4520 Level 3 NVQ in ICT Professional Competence
Online Course for Datacomms Engineers
We offer an online course for datacomms engineers who need to gain a level 3 qualification to be able to apply for the ECS Advanced Datacomms Specialist Gold Card. Many engineers will be searching for a datacomms, telecomms or structured cabling NVQ but will find that they no longer exist. The course available now are BTEC diplomas but in reality, the process of gaining these qualifications remains the same. Engineers are required to build a portfolio of evidence to demonstrate their skills and knowledge against the unit criteria.
We have updated our programmes by redeveloping our learning portal which is now the most advanced learning management system available for these courses. Engineers can easily work through each unit, submit the evidence and build their portfolios without having to take time off work.
Our learning platform can be accessed from any internet-enabled device and we also have an app which can be installed on mobile devices.
BTEC Level 3 Diploma in Professional Competence for IT and Telecoms Professionals
The first thing that is the most important aspect of this course is that it is accredited by an official awarding body. We are accredited by Pearson for this qualification. This means that you can have confidence that it will be recognised by ECS when applying for your Gold Card. Some organisations offer data and fibre training that is not accredited by an official awarding body and this means that it has limited value.
We offer two pathways for data cabling engineers depending on their job role. Our pathways are Copper Only or Copper and Fibre. This just reflects the type of work done and the evidence that can be collected.
Applying for an Advanced Datacomms Specialist ECS card
One of the main questions we are often asked is how to apply for an ECS card. Essentially, you need two certificates. The first is the BTEC Level 3 Diploma in Professional Competence for IT and Telecoms Professionals and the second is a recognised health and safety certificate. There are a few options available. Engineers can book and sit the ECS Health and Safety Assessment. However, they do accept alternatives and these are:
- Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Installing Electrotechnical Systems and Equipment (Buildings, Structures & Environment) (QCF)
- Level 3 SVQ Diploma in Installing Electrotechnical Systems and Equipment (Buildings, Structures & Environment) (QCF
- Level 3 NVQ in Electrotechnical Services (Electrical Installation – Building and Structures)
- Level 3 SVQ in Electrotechnical Services (Electrical Installation – Building and Structures)
- SQA/SJIB SVQ Level 3 in Electrical Installation
- Level 3 Electrotechnical qualification (installation) or (maintenance) – Trailblazer (England)
- ECITB Health and Safety Passport
- Construction Skills Register (CSR)
- CCNSG Safety Passport – National Course
- CCNSG Safety Passport – Supervising / Leading a team Safety Course
- CCNSG Safety Passport – Renewal Course
- Safety Passport Alliance (SPA) Core H & S Course
- IOSH Working Safely – (IOSH Approved Centre Classroom Invigilated Exam ONLY)
- IOSH Safety, Health & Environment for Construction Site Workers – (IOSH Approved Centre Classroom Invigilated Exam ONLY)
- IOSH Managing Safely in Construction
- IOSH Safety, Health & Environment for Construction Site Managers – (IOSH Approved Centre Classroom Invigilated Exam ONLY)
- Construction Skills (CITB Site Supervisor Safety Training Scheme (SSSTS)
- CITB Site Management Safety Training Scheme (SMSTS)
- CITB Site Management Safety Training Scheme Refresher (SMSTS Refresher)
- CITB Health and Safety Awareness Course
- ECA Operative & New Entrant H & S Awareness Course
- IOSH Managing Safely in the Engineering Construction Industry (ECITB Module 4)
- NEBOSH Diploma in Occupational Safety
- NEBOSH Level 3 General Certificate in Occupational Health & Safety
- NEBOSH Health and Safety at Work Qualification