The Network Cable Installer apprenticeship is now the main programme for structured networking businesses looking to upskill existing engineers or to recruit new engineers.
Network Cable Installer Apprenticeship
This programme offers new and existing engineers the opportunity to develop the knowledge and skills to successfully install and test network installations.
Through City and Guilds accreditation, engineers will become fully proficient with copper and fibre. They will learn to interpret detailed project plans to construct and fix network equipment cabinets, prepare cable pathways, and install cable support and containment systems. They will be able to undertake performance-based testing and provision of certification to the customer. Engineers can work in potentially hazardous areas and this programme will provide the necessary training on health and safety. Engineers will also learn about workforce management systems used for a range of workflow activities as well as personal time and attendance tracking.
It is a 12-month programme that will allow engineers to gain a range of accreditations. These include:
- City and Guilds 3667-02 Copper
- City and Guilds 3667-03 Fibre
- NRSWA Guarding and Lighting/Operative – Unit 2
- Manual Handling – Level 2
- Asbestos Awareness – Level 2
- Working at Heights
On completion of this programme engineers will be eligible to apply for:
- ECS Advanced Datacoms Engineer Gold Card
- Full member for the Institute of Telecommunications Professionals
The main difference with this new apprenticeship standard is that engineers will be required to complete an independent end-point assessment to gain their full apprenticeship certificate. They will still need to develop a portfolio of evidence but will now also be required to perform a practical assessment in which they will be required to:
- Lay cable
- Install wire basket and UPVC trunking, incorporating vertical and horizontal containment routes
at high and low levels
- Loom of cables into cabinet
- Install brackets using spirit level
- Terminate copper (Unshielded Twisted Pair and Foil Twisted Pair [UTP/FTP]) and fibre optic
- One UTP and one FTP outlets at low level
- Six copper (UTP) panel to panel links
- One fibre cable panel to panel link with 4 spliced fibres and 4 direct terminated type fibres
This programme is offered by our apprenticeship delivery organisation, VQ Solutions Ltd. For more information please contact us and we can discuss your organisation’s apprenticeship requirements.